Secure BlackBerry runs on a customized OS and uses the Secure Email application. Secure Email is protected by PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption. Why PGP? Well, PGP has been put to the test by thousands in the open-source market, but it remains the yardstick by which other encryption options are measured.
Yes, there are other PGP solutions on the market, but most are corporate, expensive and compromised by corporate retention law – a back door is created to allow companies to retain and store communication data. On the other hand, there are solutions geared to the “geek” crowd, which are low-cost or free, but require a great deal of configuration and maintenance.
Secure Email offers:
- End-to-end encryption – Generate new keys on the fly and update to server quickly.
- Keys not stored on our servers – Encrypted PGP messages cannot be read by anyone (including us) but the intended recipient.
- Email contacts integrated with Secure Chat and Secure Voice.
- Remote wipe capabilities – If compromised, send yourself an email with a specific code from any source, and wipe your phone.
- Multiple account support – assign granular settings to each account.
- Store encrypted drafts.